Synthesis powerhouse with distinctive wavetable timbres, Kaoss Physics, and Motion Sequencing 2.0.
In 1985, Korg's DW-8000 combined digital wavetables with rich analog filters to give users sounds which were impossible to create with analog oscillators. It's still a cult favorite today.
Modwave builds on the DW legacy and transforms it into a modern monster synth, featuring incredibly deep wavetable oscillators, gorgeous filters, wildly flexible modulation, unmatched polyphony, comprehensive pattern sequencing, and immediately satisfying hands-on control to deliver unique, powerful, and easily customizable sounds and phrases.
Modwave also introduces two unique new tools for creating dynamic motion: Kaoss Physics and Motion Sequencing 2.0. Kaoss Physics combines an x/y Kaoss pad with modulatable game physics to create a responsive, interactive controller that is—besides being powerful— a lot of fun to explore. Motion Sequencing 2.0 brings the organic, continuously evolving patterns of the wavestate's Wave Sequencing 2.0 into the world of motion sequencing, including multiple lanes and real-time recording to help you create complex and evolving phrases that other step sequencers cannot.
Like Wave Sequencing 2.0 (wavestate) and altered FM (opsix), modwave’s evolved wavetable synthesis delivers its own brand of completely unique sounds and a knob-per-function layout that makes customizing those sounds fast and easy. To start, there are hundreds of preset sounds empowered by this new architecture, organized by front-panel category buttons, and all instantly customizable via the four Modulation Knobs. modwave's distinctive wavetable timbres start with aggressive basses & leads, and lush ambient pads which will add a new dimension to your tracks. But that is just the start. Those who want to dig deeper will find an endless source of discovery; you'll be finding new things in this synth for a long, long time because of the unique synth architecture. Once you have started finding new sounds - save as many as you like; there's room for thousands more.
modwave synthesis engine
When we call the wavetable oscillators "deep," we are not kidding. Start with over 200 wavetables, each containing up to 64 waveforms—from thousands of individual waves. Use the 30+ Modifiers to change their basic character, and the 13 Morph Types to process them in real-time. Create new hybrids from any two wavetables using the unique, realtime A/B Blend. Quick math: that's over 230 million wavetable variations out of the box, and that’s before you even add modulation. No need to stop there, though! Load your own custom wavetables in Serum or WaveEdit formats; there's room for thousands more*. Or, layer wavetables with samples from the built-in, multi-gigabyte PCM library.
*via Editor/Librarian software
- Keyboard 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Maximum Polyphony 32 stereo voices
- Sound generating system modwave synthesis engine
- Controllers Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel, Kaoss Physics, 4x Mod Knobs
- Other Sources 4x Envelopes, 5x LFOs, 2x Mod Processors, 2x Key Track, Seq Lanes A-D, Step Pulse, Tempo, Program/Performance Note Count, Program/Performance Voice Count, Poly Legato, Velocity, Exponential Velocity, Release Velocity, Gate, Gate+Damper, Note-On Trigger, Note-On Trigger+Damper, Note Number, Aftertouch and Poly Aftertouch (external MIDI only), MIDI CCs +/-, MIDI CCs +
- Destinations Most parameters can be modulated, including parameters of individual Motion Sequence Steps. Depending on Motion Sequence length, there can be more than 1,000 potential modulation targets per Program.
- Pre FX Decimator, Graphic EQ, Guitar Amp, Modern Compressor, Parametric EQ, Red Compressor, Ring Modulator, Tremolo, Wave Shaper
- Mod FX Black Chorus/Flanger, Black Phase, CX-3 Vibrato Chorus, EP Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Modern Chorus, Modern Phaser, Orange Phase, Polysix Ensemble, Small Phase, Talking Modulator, Vintage Chorus, Vintage Flanger, Vintage/Custom Wah, Vox Wah
- Delay L/C/R Delay, Multiband Mod Delay, Reverse Delay, Stereo/Cross Delay, Tape Echo
- Master Reverb Early Reflections, Overb
- Master EQ 4-band parametric EQ
- Inputs/outputs Headphone (6.3 mm stereo phone jack), OUTPUT L/MONO and R (impedance-balanced 6.3 mm TRS phone jacks), DAMPER (6.3 mm phone jack, half-damper not supported), MIDI IN and OUT connectors, USB B port
- Power supply AC adapter (DC12V, 2500mA)
- Power consumption 5 W
- Dimensions (W × D × H) 565 × 338 × 92 mm/22.24” × 13.31” × 3.62”
- Weight 2.9 kg/6.93 lbs.
- Included items AC adapter
- Accessories (sold separately) DS-1H damper pedal, PS-1 pedal switch, PS-3 pedal switch