- Pedal Accessories
A Masterpiece Returns in the Modern Era
Backed by intensive R&D and our latest innovations, the RE-202 faithfully delivers the authentic sound and behavior of the Space Echo like never before. Built by the company that designed the original, this advanced pedal captures the RE-201’s magic in flawless detail, from the magnetic tape and motor properties to the vibrant spring reverb and colorful preamp circuit.
Tape Echo Magic
Tape echo was the first delay effect and one of the first effect processors available for electronic musicians. In contrast with today’s CPU-based digital units, a tape echo is a simple machine that uses a motor to pull magnetic tape across one or more record/playback heads. Warm, full, and dynamic, the tape echo sound is influenced by many factors.
A Masterpiece Reborn
While previous BOSS designs captured the true sonic flavor and essential characteristics of the Space Echo, new advancements have allowed us to go much deeper than ever before. With the RE-202, our engineers have fully reproduced all the complex, non-linear behaviors that contribute to the RE-201’s immortal character.
Retro Sound at Your Fingertips
All the core controls of the original are here, including the iconic 12-position mode selector. Every behavior is replicated with complete accuracy, such as the gradual pitch change that occurs when the Repeat Rate knob is tweaked, or the cool runaway feedback that happens when the Intensity knob is maxed.
With selectable tape age and variable controls, you can dial in everything from a brand-new Space Echo to the worn character and quirks of a well-loved vintage piece.
The RE-202 includes many new features that extend the Space Echo for today’s musicians. Twice the delay time is available, along with a fourth virtual tape head that unlocks five additional sound combinations. There’s also an echo type that changes the distance between the heads, something not possible with the original. In contrast with the mono RE-201, the RE-202 provides true stereo I/O and selectable operation for guitar or line-level devices.
Also included is a stereo version of the original spring reverb sound from the RE-201, along with hall, plate, room, and ambience types for additional versatility.
To complement its vintage heart and soul, the RE-202 has all the modern features you’d expect from an advanced delay pedal. There are four onboard memories for storing and recalling favorite sounds, and 123 more are accessible via MIDI program change. Tap tempo is also on hand, as well as selectable delay carryover when switching memories.
- Authentically recreates the sound and behavior of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo
- Classic multi-head tape echo sound with expanded delay time
- Original three-head configuration plus additional tape head for 12 unique echo combinations
- Independent stereo reverb section with original spring reverb type plus hall, plate, room, and ambience
- Saturation control for adding magnetic tape compression and preamp coloration
- Wow & Flutter control for introducing varying levels of natural tape modulation
- Choose between new and aged tape conditions
- Selectable input modes for optimum performance with instruments and line-level gear
- Warp and Twist effects with footswitch control
- Select between the unprocessed analog dry signal or the modeled sound of the original Space Echo preamp
- Four onboard memories plus the current panel settings
- Save and select 127 memories via external MIDI program change
- Tap tempo and carryover functions
- True stereo input and output
- Expandable control via external footswitches, an expression pedal, or MIDI
- Sampling Frequency: 48 kHz
- AD Conversion:
- 24 bits + AF method
- AF method (Adaptive Focus method) This is a proprietary method from Roland & BOSS that vastly improves the signal-to-noise (SN) ratio of the AD converter.
- DA Conversion: 32 bits
- Processing: 32-bit floating point
- Modes: 12 modes
- Memory127 + Manual
- Bypass: Buffered bypass
- ON/OFF switch
- MEMORY switch
- TAP switch
- SATURATION knob
- WOW & FLUTTER knob
- MODE SELECTOR knob
- BASS knob
- TREBLE knob
- REVERB VOL knob
- REPEAT RATE knob
- INTENSITY knob
- ECHO VOL knob
- MEMORY button
- INPUT button
- TAPE button
- INPUT A/MONO jack, INTPUT B jack, OUTPUT A/MONO jack, OUTPUT B jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- CTL 1, 2/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) jacks: Stereo miniature phone type
- DC IN jack
- USB port: USB micro B-type (program update only)
- Power Supply: AC adaptor
- Current Draw: 140 mA
- AC adaptor
- Owner's Manual
- Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTES," and "Information")
- Rubber foot
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Width: 192 mm | 7-9/16 inches
- Depth: 133 mm | 5-15/64 inches
- Height: 52 mm | 2-3/64 inches
- Height (including rubber foot): 53 mm | 2-3/32 inches
- Weight: 860 g | 1 lb 15 oz