The easy way to connect to the PA
The StageBug SB-5 provides an easy to use professional interface for connecting any mobile playback device to a mixer or PA system, with a built-in cable and 3.5mm stereo plug to connect directly to your laptop, smartphone, or tablet. Inside, a pair of custom wound transformers isolate the signals to prevent hum and buzz, and balance the audio to feed long cable runs without noise. Left and right 1/4" TRS outputs are provided for stereo operation, or a mono XLR output can be used to save channels on the PA system. The SB-5 works without any power required, and features additional ground lift and pad switches to eliminate ground loop noise and prevent distortion from high output audio sources.
Using the SB-5 with a computer
Connect the headphone output from your computer directly into the StageBug SB-5 for quiet performance each time. The sidewinder cable cleat makes storage easy and you never lose the cable!
Using the SB-5 with a tablet
The SB-5 is your perfect direct box when extra portability is needed. Connect your iPad or Galaxy tablet to the SB-5 via the integral 3.5mm cable connection and sum to mono via the XLR output.
Using the SB-5 with an iPhone
Need to play backing tracks in stereo? The Stage Bug SB-5 makes it easy to connect from your portable music player. Connect from the headphone out to the SB-5 and send a balanced stereo signal to the PA.
- Stereo direct box for laptops, smartphones, and tablets
- Cable with 3.5mm stereo plug to connect to mobile devices
- Transformer isolation eliminates hum and buzz
- Plug & play easy to use, no power required
- Compact design fits in your laptop bag
Can I use the SB-5 with instruments?
The SB-5 is designed to work with pre-compressed buffered signals such as those produced by CDs and other recorded formats. Instruments are better served by direct boxes that have the suitable input sensitivity and dynamic range such as the SB-1 or SB2.
How does the SB-5 compare to the Radial ProAV2?
The Radial ProAV2 is a direct box that is designed to both handle computers and consumer level devices along with instruments with a wide dynamic range such as a digital piano while the SB-5 is designed for pre-compressed audio files. The ProAV2 also has more connector options. This makes the ProAV2 more flexible albeit at a higher cost.
I heard that active DIs are better. Is this true?
No. When working with signals such as the output from a computer, the signal is already buffered and therefore active. So running one buffered signal into an active buffered interface often has no advantage.
It is easy to change the cable?
Yes. You simply open the SB-5, use a small screw driver to open the strain relief and release the cable. Wick off the solder, and then re-solder in the new cable. We have made the solder points accessible to make this as easy as possible.
Can I use the stereo TRS outputs and the mono XLR output simultaneously?
No, the SB-5 is not a splitter. When connection is made to the TRS outputs, the mono XLR output is automatically switched off.
Can I damage the SB-5 if I send phantom power to it?
No, the transformers inside the SB-5 will block any phantom power that is applied to the TRS or XLR outputs of the device, preventing any damage to the SB-5 and any connected devices.
The Radial Stage Bug SB-5 Laptop is a stereo direct box designed to easily integrate with laptop computers and other audio sources that employ a mini 3.6mm (1/8″ TRS) connector. It features an integral cable and storage cleat for easy deployment. inside, the passive design features two custom transformers that perform the balancing and impedance conversion. Transformer isolation benefits by eliminating hum and buzz caused by ground loops. Although remarkably compact and affordable, the SB-5 produces a exceptionally linear response with almost zero phase shift and less than 0.2% distortion at all frequencies. This makes the Stage Bug SB-5 an excellent choice for audio playback via PA systems, audio-visual integration and portable DJ setups.
- Audio circuit type: Passive, transformer based
- Number of channels: Two channels
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz (± 1dB)
- Dynamic range: 100dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.01% @ 1kHz
- Phase Deviation: 2° @ 100Hz; 5° @ 50Hz
- Input Impedance: 40k Ohms, unbalanced
- Output Impedance: 2.8k Ohms, balanced
- Maximum Input: +20dB
- Input pad, Mono Sum, Ground lift
- Input Connectors: 3.5mm
- Output Connectors: 1/4" TRS, XLR
- Construction: 14 gauge steel chassis & outer shell
- Size (L x W x D): 4.5" x 1,85" x 1.35" (114mm x 47mm x 34mm)
- Weight: 0.55 lbs (250 grams)
- Shipping size (L x W x D): 8" x 5" x 3" (203mm x 127mm x 76mm)
- Shipping weight: 0.8 lbs (365 grams)
- Power: Passive, no power required
- Conditions: For use in dry locations only between 5°C and 40°C
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable