The ultimate compact FM synth is finally here.
The next-gen volca fm is a powerful 6-voice, 6-Operator FM synthesizer with all 32 classic algorithms, a 16-step loop sequencer, effects and a powerful arpeggiator that perfectly reproduces the sound of the classic Yamaha DX7 and is completely compatible with SYS-EX patches for the DX7 as well.
Battery (included) or adapter (optional) operated with built-in speakers and a compact and light chassis, the volca fm is the ultimate portable FM solution for all musicians.
This new generation – with double the voices of its predecessor, additional effects, expanded MIDI connectivity, and intuitive interface – is poised to bring unprecedented possibilities to your setup, and revolutionize your studio with new musical ideas.
With 6 voices (instead of the 3 of its predecessor) the new volca fm brings a new world of harmonic possibilities to your production.
Now it is possible to play, sequence or arpeggiate complex chords with up to 6 voices in order to bring a unique flavor to your music production. No more running out of voices when sequencing melody, harmony and bass all in one device!
Moreover, the new volca fm is now velocity sensitive via MIDI, which coupled with its 6 voice polyphony, provides a much more expressive and nuanced playing experience than ever before.
By popular request, volca fm includes a lush Reverb effect in addition to the Chorus effect. Each of these two effects can be used and adjusted individually to add the finishing touch to any FM sound you are going for.
External sequencing and connectivity
In addition to MIDI IN the new volca fm also includes a MIDI OUT (IN/OUT 3.5 mm TRS), making it possible to use the intuitive volca internal sequencer to control other devices through MIDI, making it the perfect addition to your standalone setup. Of course, it also works well with your DAW of choice thanks to note, control, and clock receipt via the MIDI IN.
Powerful sequencer and functions
The internal sequencer offers looping up to 16 steps, allowing you to record your performance on the touch panel keyboard as you play. Up to 16 sequence patterns can be stored in the internal memory.
volca fm also incorporates a motion sequence function to record in real time all the subtle nuances of your playing and knob movements, letting you add time-varying change to the sound. This is a great way to polish your loops, and also lets you generate highly original live performances.
New program randomization and performance oriented functions
In order to spice things up, the new generation of volca fm includes a brand new program randomizer, letting you find new inspiration through happy accidents and unexpected patches.
Of course, it still incorporates highly acclaimed functions such as the warp active step, pattern chain and an improved arpeggiator, making it easy to create crazy looping rhythms and patterns.
In addition to the active step function that lets you skip steps during a sequence, the volca fm provides new functions that enable you to generate more irregular rhythms. If the active step is fewer than 16 steps, you can use the warp active step function to compensate so you occupy the same playback time as 16 steps; then by synchronizing the playback with another volca series unit, you can deliberately skew the step timing to generate truly unconventional performances.
- Keyboard Multi touch 27 key keypad
- Type FM synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony 6 voices
- Structure 6 operators, 32 algorithms
- Number of Programs 64
- Edit parameters Modulator (Attack, Decay), Carrier (Attack, Decay), LFO (Rate, P.Depth), Algrtm, Randomize
- Available to edit full parameters for each operator in Edit Mode
- Controls Transpose, Velocity, Octave, Arp (Type, Div), Chorus Level, Reverb Level
- Arpeggiator Types 9 (each 3 patterns of "Rise", "Fall", and "Random")
- Voice Modes Poly, Mono, Unison
- Effect Chorus, Reverb
- Number of Parts 1
- Number of Steps 16
- Number of Recording Patterns 16
- Controls Motion Sequence, Active Step, Warp Active Step, Pattern Chain, Metronome
- Audio Output Headphones (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V)
- Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Output level: 5V)
- When two units of volca fm, available to export the sound programs and sequence data from a volca fm to the other one
- IN 、OUT
- Note: 3.5mm stereo mini jack connector (type-A MIDI adaptor needed)
- Available to convert and load SYS-EX/SYX files from Yamaha DX7
- Power Supply
- AA alkaline battery x 6 or AA nickel-metal hydride battery x 6
- Or AC adapter (DC 9V) (optional)
- Battery Life
- Approximately 10 hours (using alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions (W x D x H) 193 x 115 x 40 mm / 7.60” x 4.53” x 1.57”
- Weight 360 g / 12.70 oz. (Excluding batteries)
- Included Items AA alkaline battery x 6 (for verifying operation), Sync Cable, Edit Parameter List
- Accessories AC adapter (DC 9V) KA-350