- WHAT SIZE STRINGS DOES MY VIOLA NEED?
Prelude strings are the educator’s preferred choice for student strings due to their unique blend of warm tone, durability, and value. Prelude strings have the warmest sound available in an affordable, solid steel core string design. Unaffected by temperature and humidity changes, they have excellent bow response.
- Construction: Ball-end
- Core Material: Solid Steel Core
- The world's best-selling steel core string
- Engineered for unparalleled longevity and durability
- Balanced tension for a comfortable feel
- Great for classical, fiddle, jazz, and alternative styles
- All D'Addario strings are designed, engineered, and manufactured in the USA
Our viola strings are sized by instrument body length in inches. To measure your viola to determine the size sting your instrument needs:
Turn the instrument over and measure its body length along its longest axis (not including the neck or scroll). Then, select the appropriate size string based on that measurement here:
12” = Extra-Extra-Short Scale
13”-14” = Extra-Short Scale
14”-15” = Short Scale
15”-16” = Medium Scale
16”-17” = Long Scale
17”+ = Extra Long Scale
If you measure 15.5" for instance, you will need a medium scale D'Addario viola string (for instruments 15" to 16" inches in length).
NOTE: The instrument sizes in our catalog are recommendations only.