- Pedal Accessories
The Classic BOSS Distortion, Enhanced with Waza Craftsmanship
Introduced in 1978 among the earliest models in the BOSS compact series, the orange DS-1 redefined the sound of distortion and remains as influential today as ever. Its hard-edged attack and smooth sustain have made it the best-selling compact effect to date, and its distinctive tone is behind the signature sounds of a long list of rock and alternative icons. With the DS-1W, this legendary stomp joins other BOSS classics in the Waza Craft series, fusing the look and character of the original with a newly revised discrete all-analog circuit for expanded range and versatility.
The DS-1 instantly impacted the guitar world when launched, introducing a fresh new high-gain sound with aggressive, well-defined distortion rich in harmonic overtones. Over four-plus decades, leading players in hard rock, metal, grunge, and fusion genres have adopted the pedal for their core sounds. The classic edge of the DS-1 can be heard on countless famous tracks, both as a prime distortion for clean amp platforms and a boost to drive gained-up tube amps into controlled mayhem.
Two Modes, More Tonal Range
With its two modes and discrete all-analog circuit design, the DS-1W expands the DS-1 experience for a broader range of styles and applications. Call up Standard mode and play with the tight, hard-edged tone and singing sustain of the original pedal. Or switch on Custom mode for a bold new sound that takes the unmistakable DS-1 character to the next dimension.
Standard Mode: Classic DS-1 Sound
Standard mode on the DS-1W delivers the authentic sound of the original in every way. Its innovative two-stage gain circuit is a critical part of the fullness and definition that so many guitarists love about the DS-1. The versatile tone control affects low and high frequencies, simultaneously boosting and cutting each end of the frequency spectrum as the knob is turned. This lets you precisely dial in the sound for any application, from sharp rhythms and searing solos to maintaining low-end clarity when boosting amps and other drive pedals.
Custom Mode: Rich, Fat, and Dynamic
Custom mode presents a unique new distortion voice while retaining the singular DS-1 personality and edge. A thick, mid-focused character provides more fatness and cut to make your sound stand out in the mix, and the tone control is tuned to maximize the mode’s richness and presence. The available level has been increased by 6 dB, providing a wider range of gain boost for driving amps and pedals. And with more input sensitivity, you can conjure up all sorts of distortion colors with picking dynamics and volume control adjustments on the guitar.
Waza Craft: The Art of Superior Tone
Since the beginning, the engineers at BOSS have been committed to achieving the finest guitar tones using any technology necessary, from old-school analog circuits to high-tech DSP. This enthusiastic spirit continues with the Waza Craft series, bringing you exceptional tone and touch response through carefully selected analog components, refined circuitry, and meticulous attention to detail. In Japan, “Waza” is the term for art and technique, and these special edition pedals proudly carry the Waza symbol to represent the pinnacle of BOSS design and craftsmanship.
- Special edition Waza Craft pedal for the ultimate BOSS tone experience
- Newly revised two-stage gain circuit with discrete analog components
- Standard mode delivers the legendary sound of the original DS-1
- Custom mode provides fatter distortion tones with focused midrange and increased touch response
- Versatile Tone knob provides wide-ranging frequency control fine-tuned for each mode
- Two modes offer increased versatility when the pedal is used as a gain booster
- Premium buffer for clean and clear tone when bypassed
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level -20 dBu
- Input Impedance 1 M ohms
- Nominal Output Level -20 dBu
- Output Impedance 1 k ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance 10 k ohms or greater
- Bypass Buffered bypass
- Controls Pedal switch
- Mode switch DIST knob
- LEVEL knob TONE knob
- Indicator CHECK indicator (Serves also as battery check indicator)
- Connectors INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- OUTPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type DC IN jack
- Power Supply Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61 or 6LF22) or Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22)
- AC adaptor (PSA series: sold separately) Current Draw
- 15 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use Alkaline: Approx. 50 hours
- Carbon: Approx. 25 hours *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Accessories Leaflet (“USING THE UNIT SAFELY,” “IMPORTANT NOTES,” and “Information”)
- Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61 or 6LF22)
- Options (sold separately) AC adaptor: PSA series
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- Width 73 mm 2-7/8 inches
- Depth 129 mm 5-1/8 inches
- Height 59 mm 2-3/8 inches
- Weight (including battery) 430 g 1 lb