A LEGENDARY SAMPLER MEETS AN ICONIC SEQUENCER
Designed for live use, the SP-404A Linear Wave Sampler expands the sounds of the Roland AIRA TR-8 Rhythm Performer for a powerful combination of sample and percussive synthesis. The fast, hands-on approach of the acclaimed SP-series performance samplers is a perfect fit for the impressive rhythmic effects and iconic step-sequencer of the Roland AIRA TR-8.
All of the functions and features of the popular SP-404SX are contained in the SP-404A, including its distinctive 16-bit linear sampling, 29 onboard DSP effects, smooth FX switching, and 12 professional performance pads. Plus, a new library of sounds curated by sample-industry leader Loopmasters are provided via the included SD card.
TR Sequencer Meets SP-Style Sampling
The SP-404A can be triggered from the TR-8 Rhythm Performer for powerful, integrated beat and sample production. Simply connecting a MIDI cable between the two gives you the ability to incorporate samples from the SP-404A and use them in conjunction with your drum patterns. Each of the TR-8’s 11 tracks can trigger a sample on the SP-404A, play a TR-8 sound, or both, enabling you to create interesting layers and accents.
Sample Scatter and Side Chain
By connecting the stereo output of the SP-404A to the TR-8’s external audio input, you can use the TR-8 as a sub-mixer and processor for the sampler. In this configuration, all samples played on the SP-404A can be effected using the powerful TR-8 Scatter feature to reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all manner of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync.
Sampling is not limited to the studio with the SP-404A. The built-in microphone allows for simple recording anytime and anywhere inspiration may strike, powered by AC or six AA batteries. Line inputs enable direct sampling from a mixer or external device, and a mic input is also available for sampling with an external microphone.
Your signature sounds can be sculpted at any time via the SP-404A’s 29 onboard DSP effects. Essentials include spacious reverbs and choruses plus lush filters and delays, and all provide seamless switching for smooth transitions while performing. There are also striking, performance-based effects on hand, including a voice transformer and a looper.
- Sample anytime, anywhere with the built-in mic and battery power
- Can be triggered from the 16-step sequencer in the TR-8 Rhythm Performer (TR-8 system version 1.50 or later required)
- AIRA black-and-green color scheme to match existing AIRA hardware
- “Sounds by Loopmasters” SD card includes over 100 new stereo samples, effects, and one-shots
- 29 DSP effects, including filter, delay, unique voice effects, subsonic, looper, and more
- Three control knobs, 12 trigger pads, and Sub Pad for rapid-repeat triggering
- Seamless effects switching for smooth, perfect performances
- Pattern sequencer with quantize mode and shuffle feels
- Import audio files from a computer and assign samples to pads with free Mac/Windows software
- Maximum Polyphony 12 voices
- Recordable Data
- Samples: 120 (12 samples × 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
- Patterns: 120 (12 patterns × 10 banks) (stored on SD card)
- Sampling Time (Total time for all samples)
- The maximum sampling time (size) for a single sample is approximately 180 minutes in stereo (2 GB). The following shows the approximate total sampling time of the samples that can be stored on one SD card.
- Card capacity / Stereo (Mono)
- 1 GB / Approx. 90 min. (180 min.)
- 2 GB / Approx. 180 min. (360 min.)
- 4 GB / Approx. 360 min. (720 min.)
- 8 GB / Approx. 720 min. (24 hours)
- 16 GB / Approx. 24 hours (48 hours)
- 32 GB / Approx.48 hours (96 hours)
- Since the SD card included with the SP-404A contains preload data, the available sampling time will be less than the time above.
- Data Format 16-bit linear (.wav/.aiff)
- Sampling Frequency 44.1 kHz
- Pattern Sequencer
- Maximum recordable notes: Approx. 16,000 notes
- Resolution: 96 ticks per quarter note
- Pattern length: 1–99 measures
- Recording method: Realtime Loop Recording (with shuffle quantize function)
- Effects 29 types
- Pads 12 + Sub pad × 1
- Controllers Control knob × 3
- Display 7 segments, 3 characters (LED)
- Onboard Mic Mono × 1
- LINE IN jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- LINE OUT jacks (L, R) (RCA phono type)
- PHONES jack (Stereo 1/4-inch phone type)
- MIC IN jack (1/4-inch phone type)
- MIDI IN connector
- DC IN jack
- SD card slot
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor or Alkaline battery (AA, LR6)/Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) × 6
- *Batteries sold separately
- Battery Life for Continuous Use
- Rechargeable Ni-MH battery: Approximately 5 hours (When using batteries having a capacity of 1,900 mAh.)
- Alkaline battery: Approximately 4 hours
- *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Current Draw 450 mA
- SD Card
- AC Adaptor
- Owner’s Manual
- SIZE AND WEIGHT
- 178 mm
- 7 inches
- 257 mm
- 10-1/8 inches
- 73 mm
- 2-7/8 inches
- Weight (excluding AC adaptor)
- 1.2 kg
- 2 lbs 11 oz