Rethink everything you know about FM synthesis.
The opsix is an “altered” six-operator FM synthesizer. With its astoundingly accessible operator mixer and flexible sound engine that goes well beyond traditional FM, this instrument widens the potential of digital synthesizers to their utmost.
The opsix is an instrument for players of all generations—modern in every way, getting back to the basics to offer you a glimpse of the future. Whether you are new to synths, looking for a completely unique addition to your sound palate, or an original FM purist, opsix will deliver on all expectations and more.
True six-operator FM synthesis, and more
The opsix is a new digital synthesizer that features our newly designed six-operator sound generator. Although the instrument has a six-operator FM sound structure like classic FM synthesizers, the opsix doesn't just reproduce their sounds—it totally reimagines them! With a diversity of waveforms, operator modes that go beyond the realm of FM, and a filter that brings together a fusion of subtractive synthesis, opsix makes tames complexities of FM so that you can focus on exploring sounds instead of programming them. Simply put, opsix offers the editing simplicity of analog synths to control the power of arguably the deepest type of digital synthesis.
FM exploration, easier than ever Musicians today use hardware-based digital synthesizers to achieve a level of operability that just cannot be found with software-based instruments. The six sets of knobs and sliders on the opsix panel, as well as the operator mixer, are symbolic of this fact.
The knobs and sliders with two-colored LEDs on the opsix let you quickly and clearly see the relationships between operators, whose roles change with each algorithm. This lets you make direct changes to the pitch and volume for carriers, and to the brightness of the sound or the strength of the harmonics for the modulators. These controls give you sonic control over the unpredictability of FM just by subtracting and adding sounds as if you were using a mixer or drawbars!
Five operator modes that expand FM synthesis
Of course, the opsix is a collection of everything appealing about FM synthesis... but that’s not all. Aside from sine waves, the opsix offers an expanded list of diverse waveforms in pursuit of sounds with even more complex harmonics, which can also be used as a subtractive synth offering simple filtering.
40 preset algorithms and user algorithms
An algorithm is a combination of different operator roles and connections. The opsix goes far beyond classic FM synthesizers by offering 40 preset algorithms and then goes on to offer a user algorithm function for exponentially greater sound possibilities which lets you construct and arrange an algorithm from scratch.
Wide range of modulation
The synthesis offered by the opsix is made even more powerful with the processors that come at the end of the signal chain. The MOD section works separate from the operators, with three EGs and three LFOs; and 12 virtual patches.
In contrast to FM, the FILTER section follows your creation of sounds by offering analog synthesizer-like subtractive synthesis. Select from a full range of filters you want to use.
- True six-operator FM synthesis, and more
- FM exploration, easier than ever
- Full editing with the DATA ENTRY rotary encoders
- Five operator modes that expand FM synthesis
- 40 preset algorithms and user algorithms
- Three EGs, three LFOs and 12 virtual patches offer an extensive range of modulation.
- Eleven powerful filters, including MS-20 and Polysix.
- Three series of 30 types of high-definition effects.
- Visually-satisfying editing with a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope.
- Powerful 16-step polyphonic sequencer
- Adding unpredictability to sounds with the Randomize feature
- Favorite and smooth sound transition (SST) functions.
- Compact design featuring a 37-key keyboard.
- Keyboard: 37 keys (velocity and release-velocity sensitive)
- Maximum Polyphony: 32 voices
- Sound generating system: Altered FM sound generator
- Structure: 6 operators, 1 filter, 3 EGs, 3 LFOs, 3 effects, step sequencer, arpeggiator
- Operator: 5 modes (FM, Ring Mod., Filter, Filter FM, Wave Folder)
- Oscillator waveform: 21 waveforms
- Filter: 11 types
- EG: ADSR
- LFO: 23 waveforms
- V.Patch: 12 routings
- Effect: 30 types
- Sequencer: Step Sequencer (up to 16 steps, up to 6 notes per step) , Motion Sequencer (up to 6 lanes)
- Arpeggiator: 7 patterns (MANUAL, UP, DOWN, ALT1, ALT2, RANDOM, TRIGGER) fault)
- Number of programs: 500 (250 preset programs and 250 user programs as the factory-set
- Power supply: AC adapter (DC12V)
- Power consumption: 5 W
- Dimensions (W × D × H): 565 × 338 × 90 mm / 22.24" × 13.31" × 3.54"
- Weight: 2.9 kg / 6.93 lbs.
- Included items: AC adapter, Precautions, Quick Start Guide
- Accessories (sold separately): DS-1H damper pedal, PS-1 pedal switch, PS-3 pedal switch