Digital world. Dark heart.
Dark World is the first fully digital offering from Chase Bliss Audio; a unique dual channel reverb that we made with a little help from our friends. Cooper FX is responsible for the “Dark” channel; a collaborative effort influenced partly by their Generation Loss and Outward designs. Keeley Electronics crafted the “World” channel, which houses three absolutely gorgeous Hall, Plate, and Spring algorithms.
Put together, the channels can be routed in 33 distinct ways, creating a stunning palette of reverb ranging from subtle, tasteful, and lush all the way to broken video cassette, glitch shimmer, and infinite freeze.<br><br>Add all this to the dense digital control and full MIDI, dip-switch, and preset implementation Chase Bliss is known for, and you have yourself a very fun, powerful, and player-friendly reverb pedal in a small package.
- MOD | SHIM | BLACK TOGGLE: This toggle selects the reverb program that you’d like for the Dark channel. Mod is a reverb inspired by Cooper FX’s Generation Loss, and is a warbly, wispy, degraded VHS emulator. Shim is a unique dual path reverb design with infinite-style Decay influenced by some elements of the Outward pedal.
- DECAY (RAMP): When you don’t have any dip switches assigned for ramping, this control is known as the Decay knob for the Dark channel. This knob changes its function depending on what program is active. In Mod mode, Decay controls the reverb amount / time of decay.
- MODIFY: This knob changes its function depending on which Dark channel program is active. In Mod mode, Modify controls the warble / hiss / broken-down-nature of a failing video cassette tape, turning clockwise increases all of these neat things.
- HALL | PLATE | SPRING TOGGLE: This toggle selects the reverb program that you’d like for the World channel. These algorithms are inspired by their beautiful, real-life reverb namesakes.
- DWELL: Sets the intensity of the World channel’s reverb, and the amount of time it takes to decay.
- PRE-DELAY: This controls the amount of space between the initial note attack, and when you start hearing world channel reverb reflections. Counterclockwise is 0ms and clockwise has a time of 200ms.
- MIX: Sets the wet/dry mix on the device. Counterclockwise is full analog dry-through while turning the knob clockwise introduces an increasing amount of wet signal. Dry path is 100% analog. Dry is unity until the last bit of the sweep where it drops off entirely.
- TONE: This single knob is a global control for the completely separate tone algorithms on each channel. The Dark channel features a slightly resonant low pass filter on all three programs.
- PARA | D > W | W > D TOGGLE: This toggle is used only when both channels are active. “PARA” sets the channels in parallel, while the other two position set the channels in series.
- D & W BYPASS STOMPS: Activates or bypasses each channel. These can be changed to a momentary bypass or momentary active via a dip switch in the back of the pedal if it is desired.
- LOWER TOGGLE: This switch recalls presets. The right position recalls preset #1, the left position recalls preset #2. The middle position will always reflect wherever the knob positions, toggle positions, and dip switch positions are currently at.
- IN / OUT: ¼” mono input jack.
- EXP / CV: ¼” TRS jack for expression pedal (parameter selectable via dip switch in the back of the pedal). Tip goes to wiper. Can also be used for 0-5V Control Voltage (CV) on tip – the ring should be left floating in this case.
- MIDI: ¼” TRS jack. This can be used to interface the pedal with a Chase Bliss Midibox. There is much more information on this in the MIDI manual. In addition, this can be used as a secondary switch to activate / bypass channel D with a momentary normally open (NO) switch.
- POWER & OTHER INFO: This pedal consumes ~150mA and should be operated with a standard 2.1mm 9V DC center negative adapter with current supply capabilities of 200mA or more.If you use a “standard” outlet of 100mA, the pedal will not function properly. Input impedance of this device is 1M, and output impedance is less than 1k.
- EXPRESSION / CV CONTROL & DIP SWITCHES: The Mix, Dwell, Modify, Tone, and Pre-Delay dip switches in the left bank allow you to control parameters via Expression Pedal / CV. If you have something plugged into the EXP / CV jack but do not have any parameters selected via dip switch, you can control the Decay knob via expression or CV.
- SETTING EXPRESSION /CV RANGE: The range of the expression / CV is controlled by the parameter knob position and the “Sweep” dip switch. For example, if you wanted an expression pedal to control the Mix parameter from 100% dry to a 50/50 mix, you would make sure the “Sweep” dip switch is in the bottom