THE BENCHMARK IN GUITAR DISTORTION
The DS-1 Distortion is a true icon in the world of guitar effects. Introduced in 1978, BOSS’s first distortion pedal defined a bold new sound, delivering hard-edged attack and smooth sustain that’s been a staple of players for generations. The DS-1 is the top-selling BOSS compact pedal ever, and its original, unchanged design continues to inspire the creation of great music everywhere. The classic DS-1 tone is behind the signature sounds of numerous rock legends, and is ready to fuel your own signature sound today.
Before the DS-1, most distortion pedals produced harsh, buzzy tones and muddy sound at high gain settings. In 1978, BOSS engineers changed all that by developing a unique distortion circuit for the DS-1 that produces tight, hard-edged gain with rich harmonics while retaining the unique characteristics of different guitars and playing techniques. Hard rock, metal, and punk styles began to flourish in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and the DS-1’s tone had a defining influence on these genres. That trend has endured through multiple generations, and players around the world continue to seek out the classic DS-1 sound.
Gain from Mild to Heavy
From its modest three-knob interface, many different sound colors can be coaxed from the DS-1. Its pioneering two-stage circuit incorporates both transistor and op-amp gain stages. This approach is critical to the DS-1’s characteristic low-frequency fullness, which is loved by guitarists that play heavy music genres. The distortion knob offers an extremely wide range, from a mild boost for driving amps and pedals to full-throttle gain for monster rock riffs.
Powerful Tone Shaping
Unlike typical tone controls that only cut highs, the DS-1’s tone circuit features an innovative design that offers far more range. Turning the knob clockwise increases highs and decreases lows, while going counter-clockwise has the opposite effect. This lets you dial in everything from tight, cutting rhythm sounds to smooth, fat lead voices. The tone control is particularly effective for maintaining low-end definition when using the DS-1 as a booster with vintage-style amps, which often sound muddy when driven with other distortion pedals.
- Classic BOSS Distortion tones for guitar and keyboard
- Reproduces dynamics of playing, from soft to hard
- Distortion, Level and Tone control to tailor overall sound as desired
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level: -20 dBu
- Input Impedance: 1 M ohm
- Nominal Output Level: -20 dBu
- Output Impedance: 1 k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance: 10 k ohms or greater
- Controls: Pedal switch, GAIN knob, TONE knob, LEVEL knob
- Indicator: CHECK indicator (Used for indication of check battery)
- Connectors: INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type, OUTPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type, DC IN jack
- Power Supply: Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22) or Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61), AC adaptor (PSA series: sold separately)
- Current Draw: 20 mA
- Expected battery life under continuous use: Carbon: Approx. 24.5 hours, Alkaline: Approx. 44 hours, *These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Accessories: Owner's manual, Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTES," and "Information"), Carbon-zinc battery (9 V, 6F22)
- Option (sold separately): AC adaptor (PSA series)
- Width: 73 mm, 2-7/8 inches
- Depth: 129 mm, 5-1/8 inches
- Height: 59 mm, 2-3/8 inches
- Weight: 360 g, 13 oz